December 27, 2008

2008, Zhu-Shan Si-Ji Oolong




2008, Hand harvested from the Zhu-Shan plantation. This Si-Ji Oolong was in Hou De,s bargain bin, hmmm, I mean on sale. $90.00 a lb. For Hou De that's pretty reasonably priced. Thought I,d give it a shot. This is an early spring tea so consequently the infused leaf is very soft. An observation, the leaf when first adding water to the pot sunk to the bottom, usually they float on top until they become saturated. I guess this has something to do with the leaf being so young and tender that they become water logged immediately. The aroma of the infused leaf has that distinctive aroma of what I describe as floral and spice. I love that smell! The flavor is a little on the light side when it comes to the veggie thing. It,s there but kinda subdued. Slightly dry mouth feel. Ever so slightly sweet and the durability is nice enough, about 4-5 pots before it gives out. This tea doesnt have any kinda viscosity, something that I love about good Taiwan Oolongs is that stickiness but this one is lacking in that catagory. This is a "good" Oolong that I would buy again but only because of the price.

2 comments:

  1. These greener early spring oolongs, do they store well or is it 'drink up' for freshness? I've been wondering this for a long time. eileen

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really dont know. My intuition is telling me "drink up" Maybe that,s why Hou De has it on sale. It,s days are numbered.

    ReplyDelete